Wed Sep 24 14:56:20 CEST 2008

New package index

I've updated the sqlite DB index for my small pkg-search tool.
It contains the files of 8400 packages built for i686 now and is just under 100MB unpacked. Impressive!

To save some space I've switched to lzma for now. Saves near 20% on the compressed file, so less download for you. Thingy can be found here

Posted by Patrick | Permalink

Wed Sep 24 02:17:14 CEST 2008

Make your Intertubez a nicer place

I've been badly annoyed by some ads lately. As I'm already using AdBlock in Firefox and started growing a large banlist in Konqueror too (leaving Opera dangerously exposed) I started modifying my approach. So here's my additions to /etc/hosts:

# google #[Ewido.TrackingCookie.Googleadservices]                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              #[Microsoft.Typo-Patrol]                                                           #[Urchin Tracking Module]                          

#doubleclick #[MVPS.Criteria] #[Panda.Spyware:Cookie/Doubleclick]                                                                                                                                                                             #[SunBelt.DoubleClick]                                                                                                       #[Tenebril.Tracking.Cookie]                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          #[Lycos]                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
# [Google/DoubleClick via Falk AdSolution][Falk eSolutions AG]                                                                                                                                       #[Ewido.TrackingCookie.Falkag] #[McAfee.Adware-Zeno] #[Panda.Spyware:Cookie/Falkag] #[] #[] #[Tenebril.Tracking.Cookie] #[] #[Ad-Aware.Tracking.Cookie]
Et voila. Your Intertubez have now about 75% less braindamage. It's funny to see websites cleaning up on reload ... blink blink reload empty. Only text left ...

There's one issue though: It's by far not complete. I think I'll need some privoxy added to that to be really happy. If I do I'll let you know how it goes.

Posted by Patrick | Permalink

Thu Sep 18 00:07:23 CEST 2008

Local File-to-ebuild Database

Hai everyone,
I've been a bit quiet the last few $timeunits. Life is good.

Here is a little toy I've been working on since yesterday. It is still very embryonic, but what it does is simple: Map files to packages and packages to files, using a local sqlite DB I generated out of binary packages. The index is not complete, it has been generated with ~5500 packages. I will try to update it when I have more packages built.

If you have any great queries just throw them at me and I'll try to update the query script. Also I intend to totally rewrite the database structure because I've already noticed a few issues with the current design. But for now have fun with it!

Posted by Patrick | Permalink